Director of Marketing
Job Title: Director of Marketing
Reports to: President & Chief Executive Officer
Supervises: Marketing Manager-Brand & Communications
FLSA Status: Exempt, Salary, Full-time (40 hours per week)
Who We Are:
United Food Bank's history is deeply rooted in the East Valley and dates back to July 1983, when it began operations as United Food Distribution Center, Inc. As a Feeding America affiliate, United Food Bank has grown to serve 19,608 square miles across five counties, including some of the state's most remote areas. Through a network of 150 agency partners, we provide nourishing food to children and families, seniors, and the unhoused.
In July 2019, Waste Not began operating as a United Food Bank affiliate, maintaining its own 501(c)(3) charitable status. Waste Not focuses on rescuing excess perishable food items that would otherwise be thrown away. Waste Not’s unique service of prepared food rescue is an innovative solution to widespread hunger and environmental issues.
Together, United Food Bank and Waste Not leverage their combined resources, shared talent and leadership, infrastructure, and operating efficiencies to improve and expand their response to local hunger and food waste challenges.
Our Mission and Values:
We are passionate about our Mission of Uniting Communities to Alleviate Hunger. You are most likely to find success at United Food Bank if you are
Teamwork-oriented, collaborating with others to achieve the best outcomes
Guided by Integrity to do the right things, always
Inspired to go above and beyond to deliver Service & Innovation in your role.
Families and communities in Arizona are experiencing a growing need for food and other basic necessities. The United Food Bank has begun an ambitious journey to transform itself from a traditional food bank to an organization that creates innovation and long-term solutions to address hunger for any neighbor who experiences need.
We are investing to accelerate growth in delivering a stronger mission impact and to scale up the philanthropic engagement of our community to meet these growing needs. The Director of Marketing will have the unique opportunity to build and develop a growth-focused marketing team.
We are looking for a leader with experience in optimizing a marketing team for speed through rapid iteration, experimentation, and learning. Having proficiency as a digital and performance marketer who understands the dynamics of a growth and experimental mindset is highly important for this role.
This role will oversee 3 staff members and is integrated within our larger Philanthropy team. This position reports to the President & CEO.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and lead comprehensive marketing strategies aimed for sustainable, long-term philanthropic revenue growth of the organization.
- Lead, facilitate, and refine the way our Marketing team works across the organization by ensuring we are constantly striving to create the best possible environment from which transformative marketing efforts can emerge.
- Oversee end-to-end performance marketing across the lifecycle of our donor and volunteer experiences, from targeting and segmentation to creative production, content strategy, media buying, performance analysis, and optimization of our campaigns.
- Guide branding and storytelling strategies that bring our mission to life in alignment with overall marketing and revenue growth strategy.
- Collaborate with the Development, Agencies & Programs, and Community Partnerships teams, as well as our partner Waste Not, to create engaging and high-converting creative and storytelling that resonates with our target audiences.
- Manage and optimize marketing budgets across our channels, including social media, search, display, and traditional media.
- Analyze and monitor campaign performance using relevant KPIs, providing data-driven insights to guide decision-making and future strategies.
- Build and develop key agency, freelance, and other external partnerships to successfully execute marketing needs.
- Ensure signature and in-person event-based campaigns are executed at a high level, in partnership with other Philanthropy teams that focus on household relationships and business/community partnerships.
Team Leadership (25%)
- Set motion goals and targets (KPIs) for the Marketing team, and maintain a high bar for measurable performance, execution, and shipping.
- Build a repeatable team learning cadence from marketing activities and experiments, including both qualitative directional learnings and quantitative A/B testing.
- Communicate strategies and results to organizational leadership on a consistent basis.
- Create budgets, projections, and business cases that provide leadership with confidence in revenue goals, return on investment, and the level of risk.
- Lead, mentor, and grow a high-performing marketing team.
- Passion for alleviating hunger
- 5+ years of experience in digital and performance marketing strategy and execution.
- Strong leadership skills in cross-functional environments, with experience managing and mentoring teams.
- Successful track record of driving growth, engagement, and retention of customers, users, or donors through innovative marketing strategies.
- Deep understanding of direct response, SEO, paid search/paid social, funnel optimization strategies, platforms, and deployment methods.
- Expertise in marketing analytics, optimization, and performance analysis.
- Ability to weave together multifaceted marketing campaigns in collaboration with Philanthropy and other internal teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds, socio-economic levels, and staffing levels.
- Excellent collaboration skills and the ability to drive projects forward with processes that ensure efficient and high-impact cross-functional collaboration.
- Up-to-date knowledge of industry trends, best practices, and emerging technologies.
- Bonus: fluency in Spanish
- Ability to collaborate effectively with cross-departmental teams
- Results-driven mindset with a focus on achieving organizational objectives
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to inspire and motivate team members
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in this job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this role, or other roles, at the United Food Bank.
Benefits:United Food Bank offers employees a variety of benefits:
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Coverage under our insurance program commences on the first day of the month following thirty days of continuous employment
- 401k plan will be available 90 days after the first day of employment with matching
- 3-week vacation is available for your use during the year on an accrual basis
- Sick leave and bereavement
- 14 paid holidays annually
- Professional development assistance