The Head Cook is responsible for the planning, direction, monitoring, coordination, control and evaluation of menu development and food preparation for the respective Home site. This individual must be able to effectively communicate both in written and oral form. The Head Cook assists the House Manager of BeeHive Homes in the evaluation of operational performance, quality of service, and delivery and competitiveness with other area facilities. This person must have excellent leadership skills to aid in motivating and developing the resident staff. This individual must be highly organized and possess outstanding interpersonal skills with a high level of energy and enthusiasm. The Head Cook must be a firm decision-maker, taking into consideration the impact of his/her decision on the overall facility.
- The Head Cook reports to the House Manager of Bee Hive Homes. The Head Cook is responsible for carrying out the primary duties of food preparation as outlined by the Administrator of Bee Hive Homes. *
_ These essential functions include, but are not limited to: _
• Demonstrate positive interpersonal relations in dealing with employees, residents, residents' families, visitors, and co-workers in a professional, confidential manner.
• Initiate and participate in quality assurance and quality improvement activities based on the four components of quality assurance: Quality, Service, Friendliness, and Cleanliness.
• Demonstrate the ability to embrace and project the values of the facility: safety, trust, and respect, teamwork, partnership and service, compassion, integrity, efficiency, and financial responsibility.
• Provide informative written and oral correspondence to the Manager of Bee Hive Homes and act in an advisory capacity on all food service issues.
• Make informative, decisive decisions and inform the staff of all major changes and/or changes to menu's.
• Communicate accurate and pertinent information to facilitate efficient and optimal resident nutrition.
• Oversee the dietary and food service performance of the facility.
• Assure that standards and objectives for safe food handling are met.
• Apply problem solving and conflict resolution skills where needed.
• Work to establish a group culture to enable Bee Hive Homes to function as a “whole.”
The Head Cook is expected to perform position-related duties that include, but are not limited to:
• Prepare nutritious, well-prepared and presented meals on a timely and consistent basis in accordance with written menu, approved recipes, special diet requirements, and number of persons served.
• Ensure food, food preparation, equipment, and storage areas are maintained in accordance with sanitation requirements.
• Serve food according to dietary guidelines, checking for completeness and accurateness of the food served.
• Review residents' diet information and care plans and discuss with resident, family, and resident care attendants as necessary to make appropriate changes.
• Monitor portion control guidelines for individual residents.
• Maintain sufficient inventory as specified by state licensure bureau, and purchase food items within budgeting parameters.
• Stock and store food items as specified by state licensure bureau.
• Retrieve dishes and utensils following meals and ensure all dishes and utensils are washed and properly sanitized.
• Complete weekly grocery shopping lists.
• Complete substitution log if applicable.
• Post weekly menus.
Regulatory and Legal
• Ensure compliance to policies related to safe food handling and infection control.
• Bring to the attention of Bee Hive Homes Manager any deficiencies that may arise and correct as necessary.
• Ensure compliance with respect to risk management; death, the dying and the aging process; fire safety; disaster preparedness; residents' rights; and grievance procedures.
• Assist during a state survey or other in-house inspection of records as necessary.
• Take corrective action when administration indicates budget concerns exist.
• Ensure optimal maintenance of the kitchen, dining room, and equipment.
• Monitor and maintain food/supply inventory.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• If needed a certification from a physician, nurse practitioner, or other health care professional to verify no communicable diseases, open skin lesions, or any other health problems that would interfere with job performance.
• No previous felony conviction or conviction for fraud of the federal government.
• Background check (BCI).
• First aid certification.
• CPR certification.
• TB test.
• Food handler permit.
• 18 years of age.
• One year of experience in the food service field preferred.
• Successful completion of Bee Hive Homes training program.
• Knowledge of the assisted living care industry.
• Excellent leadership skills.
• Decisive, well-informed, decision-maker.
• Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
• Capacity to work effectively with different types of people.
• Ability to work efficiently and complete projects under pressure with time constraints.
• Ability to calmly handle stressful situations.
• Demonstrate organizational capabilities.
• Knowledge of food safety.
• Knowledge of nutritional/dietetic principles and applications based on calorie levels and nutrient adequacy.
• Knowledge of how to design special diets specific to a health condition.
• One year of experience in the food service industry.
• Well-rounded with developed outside interests.
This position requires the ability to interact with a diverse group of individuals. Physical demands include moving boxes, light equipment and supplies, and operating kitchen equipment. Lifting, on a regular basis, up to twenty-five pounds, is required. Occasional lifting and carrying of items up to fifty pounds is also required. Standing, for long periods of time, up to 2-4 hours per day, is required. Requires hearing to normal range and corrected vision. The
Head Cook facilitates and participates in menu planning on behalf of Bee Hive Homes. This position is an exempt position under the FSLA and does require overtime in order to accomplish those duties outlined and to complete projects. Occasional stress related to multiple responsibilities.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Salary: $16.00 to $18.00 /hour